Wednesday 22 May 2013

The Big Granny Squares Crochet Blanket...

...is finished!

I started it last May and first posted about it in June 2012.

Later that month I did a little tutorial explaining how I joined the squares as I went along.

Another update in July, it had already reached 12 x 12 squares!

And another one in Oct where I'd almost finished adding the squares but mentioned I'd yet to sew in a single end. That's the way I like to work on my blankets. I like to zoom ahead with crocheting the squares and joining them as I go (though I do work with just over a row's worth of completed squares ready to join so I can select colour placement). I feel I need to get this stage done lest I forget how to do it all! Then things slow down a little as I then work on the ends. Yes, they are tedious, but I don't do them all at once, it's also the perfect project for craft nights as no concentration at all is required so much chatting can be accomplished.

The ends were mentioned again here along with photographic evidence.

A last update in April. I left the border till last, and decided on just a simple granny square border, not too wide.

So, here it is. First I took it outside to photograph.

 Photographing outside here often has the effect of making the blues seem unnaturally dominant.

Nice when rumpled.

Stained glass window effect.

 Tada! It's 14 x 16 squares (one row of squares is hidden over the back of the line), each square is made up of 5 rounds.

 A lovely sunny day. Though the strong light does make the colours seem a little washed out.

Now to inside...

It fits! I didn't want it coming up over the pillows so it's wider than it is long. We have a king size bed to give an idea of the final size.






We don't need it at the moment as the weather has finally warmed up. I'm looking forward to being able to use it come Autumn though, something nice for the end of Summer I suppose!

In the meantime it looks very at home folded on top of the blanket box at the window.

Yarn Details...

Like I mentioned when I started the blanket it's the first one I've made using "proper" yarn (as opposed to random balls from charity shops/pound shops & ebay bundles). This means I can share the colours I used, incase anyone is interested. One ball of each other than where indicated...

Stylecraft Life: Mixtures Charcoal, Fern (2), Mixtures Cranberry (2), Mixtures Bracken (2), Gorse Nepp, Mixtures Blue Haze, Rose, Heather, Denim Nepp, Cobalt, Pebble Nepp.
Stylecraft Special: Claret, Mocha (2), Sherbet (2), Parchment (2), Cream (2), Raspberry.

32 comments:

Jackie said...

It's lovely ~ the colours all work really well together and it looks fantastic on your bed too! Well Done on getting it finished ~ I've got two different blankets on the go just now and need a big shove in the right direction to get them finished :O)x

Julie said...

Lovely, although the thought of all those ends makes me feel stressed - big job! I bet you'll love snuggling under it when the chilly nights start again! Juliex

susie said...

Anne this is B-E-A-U-T-Y-F-U-L !!!!!
My compliments !! Indeed it is big !
Lovely colours !

I'm also working on a blanket( different from yours), and a good many threads to go....One of these days I'll post it.

Have a nice day :)

Unknown said...

WOW! that is amazing. And it is so very beautiful too. Congrats on a project well finished.

and enjoy every bit of it this autumn. xo

Lyn said...

You might need it tonight...they have just forecast a ground frost for us here in Yorkshire!
It looks great and you have finished so well done.....puts me to shame.....mine still unfinished after three years! Xxx

Clicky Needles said...

Yaaaaayyyyy looks fabby!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's stunning!

tove said...

Oh my goodness, it's SO beautiful! What an amazing job, it must be so rewarding to see it finished! I love it!!

Peeriemoot said...

Oooooh, beautiful :-). Really nice colours. I can't imagine how many squillion ends there were though! I especially like that last picture - very serene.

forgetmenotsblue said...

Oh wowee! amazing it's huge! You must be so proud of it x

Mimi said...

What a beautiful blanket, it reminds me of the one in Homemade by Elspeth Thompson and Roz Badger. You must have put so much work into it. It has really inspired me to finish the blanket I started last year! Mine is a ripple one though.

Jacquie said...

Wow it's WONDERFUL Anne. It's so timeless and beautiful, all the colours work so well together. Well done on getting it finished, it's a real heirloom of the future.
Jacquie x

Meggie said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog through Gerta at "Nummer 11". I will be traveling to Scotland later this year. Love your photos...I'm looking forward to following your blog!

**Anne** said...

Your blanket is stunningly beautiful. Congrats on finishing such a large project. The blanket look gorgeous on your bed, the view out your bedroom window is rather spectacular too. Thanks for sharing.
Anne xx

Neighborhood Watch said...

Yea! How wonderful to have a big project like this finished! It looks terrific!

Mereknits said...

Wow, it is amazing, each and every square. You did a fantastic job, love the colors and how you put them all together.
Hugs,
MEredith

Ladybird Diaries said...

It's really beautiful, the colours are great together, just fantastic.
M x

Pixie said...

Absolutly stunning.....oh i do love a granny blanket, it looks so snuggly, i bet you are so thrilled with it, i have this desperate need to get another blanket underway, but other projects keep me from it......but now after seeing your finished success i think i may have to stray a little .
Just lovely
Pixie x

Annie Cholewa said...

It looks fabulous!!! I am in awe of anyone with the skill and patience to make one of these huge Granny square affairs!

Gillian Roe said...

It's absolutely beautiful! And I love how huge it is. The colours are so rich and deep, it will be lovely to use in the autumn. I love your little window, by the way, what a nice feature.

I am planning a large granny blanket for our king size bed and yours has given me the push I need to go ahead and order some yarn. I've heard lots of good things about Stylecraft, I think I may have to give it a go. x

Mrs. Micawber said...

It looks very regal draped over the clothesline ... and very homey and lovely on the bed! I like the rumpled photos too - a bit of real life. What gorgeous colours and they're perfectly balanced.

(We just saw the final episode of Call the Midwife, in which they spend an anxious evening stitching together a blanket similar to, but not half has beautiful as, yours.)

Anonymous said...

That is so nice! I really like all the colors you have used. I also really like your window, what a nice place to just sit and daydream or knit or both.

bolso.me said...

Congratulations!
You must feel very proud of yourself. It looks beautiful! and the colours are so warm and cosy...

Well done.
Regards

Unknown said...

OMG.

it is beautiful!! and so big. I really don't need to start something else but you're really tempting me...

Well done.

* said...

Serious blanket envy here! In all the blankets I've made, I've never made granny squares...what is wrong with me! I always leave my ends to the ends too, I too like to zoom on with the crocheting.

WOW...the tulip pics on the previous post are amazing....nature is just awesome isn't it?

Claire said...

An amazing blanket Anne.......think i would lie there all night, trying to pick which little square I liked the most.....
Looks fab on your bed, very snuggle worthy and oozing cosiness.
Well done.....

Claire :}

Beth of The Linen Cat said...

It's really very beautiful and I LOVE the colours. You must be so pleased to see it on the bed, finished. I can only imagine how long sewing in the ends took altogether. One to cherish there a lovely hand-me-down. Beth/thelinencat xx

lonestarsky said...

This is awesome! I'm only learning to crochet but making a blanket like this is something I hope to do eventually. You've done a fantastic job with it, thanks for sharing xx

Cybèle said...

Amazing! it looks so cosy. And despite a couple of nice days it's not warmed up all that much here, so I'd still have it on my bed to keep warm!

Anonymous said...

Jumping over from Bunny Mommy's to have a look at some of the work that inspires her, I too am in awe here. I simply lovely patchwork blanket. I love your photos as well. The bedroom is gorgeous. I love the color choices that are put together.

Pammy Sue said...

What an eye-full of granny gorgeousness! This is fantastic to look at, and it looks great on the bed. So impressive that it fits on your big bed! I know that was a lot of work, and you did a wonderful job. It will be around as a treasure for many years. I love thinking about that when I make a blanket. Long after you're gone, it'll be hanging around somebody's house still. :)

Anonymous said...

Goodness me, what a stunning blanket - large too! Well done Anne.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails